Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Farm Fresh Southern Cooking book review


written by Tammy Algood.

Okay, first let me say that I can read a cookbook like a novel.  I'm not sure why.  At first scan of this cookbook I thought it looked a bit too hoity toity for me.  I mean, i don't have aged cheddar and crystallized ginger in my kitchen on a typical day.

I love quick and easy when I'm in the kitchen and I'm even more impressed when I don't have to spend ten minutes searching for a special ingredient that the store clerks don't even know if they carry. It's especially irritating when I can't even pronounce the word.

Moving on...I did not want to pass judgement without trying at least one recipe, that would be unfair indeed.

I looked for something easy with pronounceable ingredients settling on "Savory Zucchini Pie."  Although the recipe with bacon and brussel sprouts honestly looks great!  Bacon makes anything better, right?

The Zucchini Pie did not disappoint.  Mountain man was lucky to have a bite left to try upon his arrival.  Seriously, yum!  We all give it rave reviews!

Now, I don't know if it's okay to post a recipe from a book I'm doing a review on but in this instance I think it's okay. Here's my reasoning: you'll try this recipe and love it so much you'll buy the book!  I considered doing a giveaway giving my copy to you but that just isn't going to happen.  Sorry.

Here ya go...

2 cups shredded zukes
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 white onion, chopped
3/4 all purpose baking mix {we used gluten free bisquick}
3/4 shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup veggie oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried sage
1/4 tsp paprika

Mix it all up and place in an oiled pie plate.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  Let cool 10  minutes.  Oops - we skipped that part...it smelled SO good, lost all self control.

If you've never listened to me before, now is the time.  Make this recipe.  Then buy the book.  Or, check it out from the library.  Enjoy the textured pages and pretty pictures.  Love the recipes! 

Thank you to booksneeze for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest opinion of it.

4 comments:

  1. I reviewed this same cookbook....everything looked yummy in it. I did try the brussell sprouts...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have NEVER heard of Zucchini pie. :) I would love to try the recipe one day.

    ReplyDelete

comments = happy mountain mama