Thursday, January 5, 2012

Nearing Home ~ Billy Graham ~ Book Review


i have always had the utmost respect for the elderly. it started at a young age visiting old people with my dear grandma. i would listen and soak up everything that was said.  i never understood why the little old lady at the nursing home would pace the halls holding a baby doll.  in fact, it made me extremely uneasy.  now that i'm a mama, i fully understand. 

it didn't take me long to realize they are full of stories, wit, wisdom and love.  much can be learned from even the crabbiest of 'em.

that's why i jumped at the chance to review Billy Graham's "Nearing Home."  honestly i wasn't sure what to expect since he's been on God's green earth for more than 90 years!  

well, i was pleasantly surprised.  Mr. Graham's thoughts are well formulated and he knows all about the latest and greatest in technology.  this book is full of wisdom about not just growing old but aging gracefully. and to never stop learning! 

when one is retired does it mean God is done with them?  what should people keep busy doing?  how does one handle an aging body?  how do you handle loved ones passing on?

i loved this book.  here's is one of my favorite thoughts:

"Our society is made up of obsessive contradictions: the young want to be rewarded with big jobs without obtaining experience, the middle-aged brag about working out at the gym  but can't wait to retire in order to rest, and the old want to drink from the fountain of youth.  The truth is that instant success robs young people of the journey; but it is along the journey that we obtain knowledge, collect memories, and have a sense of achievement that makes life a rewarding experience.  And older people are often deceived by miracle drugs and creams promising renewed beauty and vigor."

thank you booksneeze for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

5 comments:

  1. I am going to have to get that book! When I was a little girl, my parents did not have a TV. The week Billy Graham was on TV...they would rent a TV and we would sit and watch the program... I don't even want to say how long ago that was:)...but I have always had great respect for Billy. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO needed to read that quote today. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting. I love to read. Just got a new kindle fire for Christmas. I hope this one is available with the kindle. Thanks for sharing. I always am looking for something new to read. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this review. Love the quote about the "obsessive contradictions." Definitely a book on my wish list now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I agree, this is a fabulous book! When I picked it up I wasn't sure what to expect either, but it is packed full of great wisdom.
    Funny how our society prizes youth, when we really should be learning from the older.

    ReplyDelete

comments = happy mountain mama