Monday, November 14, 2011

thankful monday & dog bones!


one of the things i'm most thankful for is the heart my kids have to help others...they give without question.  they spend hours creating things to sell that they know won't make them a penny.  and not just my kids are this way...a lot of kids will give without thinking of themselves...surely there is a message for us adults in there somewhere. 

i'm also thankful for the chance...the chance to help others all in the name of the one who deserves our praise. 

one of the things we're making to sell for our charity craft show is homemade dog bones. since i don't have much {any?} experience with a rolling pin and dough i figured dog bones would be a great starting point.  i mean, what dog would care if their bone wasn't perfectly shaped?  i did however invite my MIL over to help us do the first round of biscuits.

these are so easy...the girls do most of the work.  here's the recipe if you're interested.

1 1/8 C whole wheat flour
1 1/8 C unbleached white flour
1/2 C peanut butter
2 TBS veggie oil
1 C water

mix dry ingredients.  mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl.  slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture.  mix until well blended.  knead and make a dough ball and let set 10 minutes.  roll in out and use any shape you'd like!  bake at 350 for 10 minutes, turn the baking sheet around and cook for another ten minutes.  depending of the biscuit's thickness, it may need more time to cook.  often i took out bones that were thinner than the others.  click here for the original recipe and credits.

the kids wanted to try one and i said "uhhh...no" but i have a feeling before this is all said and done with that one will be digested by three non-canines.

packaged in little bags with bows on top we're hoping these will be a great seller!  {we snuck some to a dog we know and she gobbled them up...that's a good sign! :}

13 comments:

  1. You must be so proud of your children...they sound great!! I think I may have to try that recipe...I know a certain doggie that would like those!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter once spent days and days sewing rice bags to sell - in order to raise money for a family in Brazil. I remember thinking...her heart is in a better place than mine! :(
    We have a lot to learn from our kids.

    That recipe looks good. I do believe I would have to try one too;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are going to make these for our doggie friends and maybe take some to the shelter.... great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! We gotta make these for our Golden Retriever! (My daughter will have to skip touching this recipe though - peanut allergy.) And I have a bone cookie cutter! Perfect! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the recipe. Do ya think it might help with Pepper Nippers chewin' habit??? I swear this pup eats everything.

    My otherwise perfectly manicured yard is a mess. I've left all sorts of thing to 'chew' on just to keep her from eatin' the house and car. She's already been there...done that!

    God bless and have a glorious week sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great time these will be great sellers. Your children are amazing little people :) B

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't blame your children for sampling them.
    I love peanut butter, and the ingredients are sort of healthy. I hope they sell really well.
    Blessings NEll

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet of them to do this!

    I loved making dog treats for all my critters when I was a kid. Once I snuck dog food in the house, and blended it in my Mama's blender, so as to use it as an ingredient. Haha! And, I also once coerced my siblings and their friends to eat Alpo Dog Snaps in the car on a long trip. They devoured them, declaring them the best crackers EVER and to this day (as they are in their early 20's and late teens) they STILL remind me of the time I tricked them into eating dog treats. Geez, mention dog treats and it sends me down memory lane.

    I hope they sell them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog. The ingredients in these dog treats sound yummy so I'm sure they will be a hit. What a wonderful life lesson for your children. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  10. They turned out great! I think we are going to make some. Thanks for the recipe.
    Oh, you must have really wanted to help out because you dealt with peanut butter. I know your hatred for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha i think mine would eat them too b4 poor moses (or other doggies) would get them.

    u have such sweet children!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally would have tasted them. :) But I love all things peanut butter, so maybe that's just me.

    Your kids are so sweet. Hope the craft show goes well.

    ReplyDelete

comments = happy mountain mama