Thursday, August 18, 2011

thoughtful thursday.

{here's lookin' at you!}

"Cows are amongst the gentlest of breathing creatures; none show more passionate tenderness to their young when deprived of them; and, in short, I am not ashamed to profess a deep love for these quiet creatures." 
~Thomas de Quincey

 
and it's true...through all of our adventures i've found that i have a deep love for creatures of the animal variety.  what amazes me the most is their instincts.  how does a mama goat know when to ween her babies? {and believe me, they do!  there is kicking and head butting involved!}  how do mama rabbits know not to hang out too long with their babies due to predators?  how do the hurt animals know by instinct which plant/herb to eat to aid their bodies?

and what gets me thinking even more...why in the world do humans not follow their instincts?  in a world of hurry, go-go, busy would it be possible to even hear that still small voice within you? 

since idaho, i've made it a habit to slow down and listen. not only to my instincts but to the Lord's leadings as well.  and i can honestly say it's made a huge impact in our lives.

and i'll never get this one figured out - how do the mama cows know that their buddies need a break from their babies?  while driving through the mountains we passed a herd of cattle.  mountain man mentioned the "cow nursery."  i was like, "huh?  can we drop our kids off there?"  apparently the mama cows take turns "cowsitting" the calves while the other cow mamas get a break.  ingenious!

i knew i loved those cows for a reason!!

{look below for a great deal of national georgraphic for little ones!}

6 comments:

  1. too cute. if we could only be so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now have much more respect for cows! I love this post. I think first time mothers especially need to hear this. It's hard to listen to your instinct when the world is throwing so many "this is the best way" claims at you. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love cows too. I love this post very insightful.Beautiful words. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really animals do have great instincts. As animals, we do possess that ability, but it is culturally removed from us starting at an early age. I do have a couple of goats that I wish would wean their kids. n\Now that they are five months old, it might be time. I have a herd of one cow and one ox. My 3000 pound ox is a wonderful and gentle uncle to Maxine's calves, and he will even babysit while she is off grazing. I do love cattle.

    ReplyDelete

comments = happy mountain mama